I'll start with me since...well...why not? My mom gave me this great book that I think everyone should read/own: Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook by Dana Gunders. Now, I know I'm more of an eco-hippie than your average joe, but this book seriously is a must read. I've mentioned before that I'm starting our veggie patch and that I want to start canning and whatnot, but this book helped me take that to the next level. For example, if I don't think we're going to eat all of the leftovers from a meal before it goes bad, then I'll put it in serving size containers, label them, and stick them in the freezer. Now Justin can just grab a frozen meal if he's in a hurry and take it to work for lunch. I don't know why we didn't think of this before, but it's been working really well, and it's saved us from throwing out a lot of food.
I also recently watched the documentary Cooked on Netflix, which again, everyone should watch, and it inspired me to make even more changes in the kitchen. So last week I made homemade picante sauce (which is delicious!!) and I started making my own chicken broth again. I have also started subbing out processed ingredients in recipes that I already use for homemade ones, and let me tell you, things taste so much better that way! Yes it takes more work and more time, but it's totally worth it to have better tasting food that is 100% food (i.e. no weird chemicals). Plus, Cooked convinced me that it's good for my boys to see me, and help me, in the kitchen. Levi has really gotten into helping me in the kitchen. I made taco melts the other day and he helped me stuff and fold them. Later in the week he stood on a chair and watched me make brown gravy and then helped me roll out the pie crusts for a ground beef pot pie. I don't know, but we may have a little chef on our hands.
As you can see from the first picture, he ate the ingredients while we were making the taco melts. Including plain flour which is just gross, but whatever. He was super proud of the fact that he helped me cook and now he asks to help or watch anytime I'm in the kitchen.
In other news, my herb sprouts are still going strong! Justin is in the process of building a raised veggie patch in the backyard, so I'll post pictures when we get it all set up. It would have already been done, but it's been raining so we have to wait...whomp whomp.
Alright, that's all for me right now. I'll post another update tomorrow maybe (?) on one of the boys with lots of pics!
No comments:
Post a Comment